The Auberge of England was built in around 1534 to house the knights of the Order of St John from the langue of England. The Auberge incorporates an earlier building owned by a Maltese woman named Catherine Abela. In December of 1534, the building was sold to the English knight Sir Clement West who donated it to the langue of England and was turned into the langue’s headquarters. The building was included on the Antiquities List of 1925 and it was scheduled as a Grade 1 national monument on 22 December 2009. It is also listed on the National Inventory of the Cultural Property of the Maltese Islands. The auberge now serves as the Vittoriosa Health Centre.