The Senglea clock tower was built by the British in 1908. The clock tower has four faces and looks on the three cities. Its machinery was manufactured in 1905 by John Smith & Sons, Midland Clock Works, Derby. During the Second World War the area was heavily bombarded but luckily the clock was never hit and never stopped working. Later on, the clock tower was handed over to the Malta Drydocks who was responsible of its upkeep.