The Armoury is one of the earliest buildings built in Birgu and it was used by the Knights of the Order of St John to store weaponry. Originally it was only a ground floor and it had a door on each of its four sides to facilitate access in case of an emergency. It was completed during the magistracy of Fra Claude de La Sengle between 1533 and 1537. The second floor was added in 1636. During the Great Siege of 1565, it served as a hospital for the wounded. During the early British period (1800 – 1964) it was used as a military hospital and barracks. After the Second World War it was converted into a Primary School.