The Auberge of France was built in around 1533 to house the knights of the Order of St John from the langue of France. It incorporated an earlier building. When the order of St John first settled in Malta, the Order’s architect Nicolò Flavari converted the original building into an auberge. The building was included on the Antiquities List of 1925 and was scheduled as a Grade 1 national monument on 22nd December 2009, and it is also listed on the National Inventory of the Cultural Property of the Maltese Islands. Nowadays, the Auberge of France serves as the Birgu Local Council.