Over the years, the miraculous statue of Jesus the Redeemer Statue attracted thousands of people who sought refuge in prayers. In 1715 the confraternity of the Holy Crucifix was founded, and it decided to build a niche in its oratory for the statue. This was built between 1731 and 1733 so that people could visit the Redeemer throughout the whole year. In 1813 Malta was fighting the Plague epidemic. People of Senglea made a vow that if Senglea was to be delivered from the pestilence, they would hold three processions every year. Their prayers were heard, and these processions have been held ever since.