The auberge of Italy was built in the 16th century to house knights of the Order of St John from the langue of Italy. It was built between 1553 and 1554 on the designs of Niccolò Bellavante on the location where a previous auberge once stood. The auberge of Italy was heavily damaged during the Second World War and the site was rebuilt between 1961 and 1963 incorporating some features of the auberge. Today the only remains of the auberge are a quoin, two windows, a partially defaced coat of arms, the base of a balcony and a few moldings on the façade. These remains were scheduled as a Grade 2 property on 2 December 2009, and they are also listed on the National Inventory of the Cultural Property of the Maltese Islands.