The Auberge of Castille and Portugal was an auberge that housed the knights of the order of Saint John from the langues of Castille, León and Portugal. The first Auberge of Castille was built in the 1530s and was known as the vecchia alberghia di Castiglia but its location is not known, and nothing remains of the first auberge. During the reign of Grand Master Claude de la Sengle, a new Auberge of Castille and Portugal was built. The new auberge was designed by the architect Niccolò Bellavante and it was designed in the traditional Maltese style. The building of this auberge still exists but it was drastically changed over time and now only a quoin and some windows with Melitan mouldings remain of the original auberge. Today the building is a private residence. The building was included on the Antiquities List of 1925, together with the other auberges in Birgu. The Auberge of Castille and Portugal was scheduled as a Grade 1 national monument on 22 December 2009, and it is also listed on the National Inventory of the Cultural Property of the Maltese Islands.