In 1680, Fra Mario Bichi demolished the old chapel of Our Saviour and rebuilt it on Lorenzo Gafà’s design. The chapel was built in the form of a hexagon, with six walls, more or less of the same length. The titular painting of Our Saviour was painted by Mattia Preti, however this was stolen in 1798 during the French blockade. The feast of Our Saviour was celebrated on 6th of August with the distribution of bread known as għażżiela. The Saviour Chapel served as Kalkara’s Parish church when St Joseph church was destroyed by bombs during the Second World War.