The Senglea Parish church dedicated to our Lady of Victories was designed by architect Vittorio Cassar in 1580 to commemorate the Great Siege of 1565. Eventually the church became a Parish in 1581 after having been part of the Parish of Birgu. The church was consecrated on 20th October 1743. On 21 May 1786, Pope Pius VI proclaimed the church to be a “collegiate insignis” (distinguished collegiate church) whilst in 1921 Pope Benedict XV gave the church the title of Basilica. The most precious work of art in the Basilica is the statue of il-Bambina which is the patron Saint of Senglea. In the church one also finds the miraculous statue of Jesus the Redeemer which attracts various devotees every year.