The first church of the Annunciation in Vittoriosa was built in 1450 and on 4th February 1528 the church was handed over to the Dominicans. During the Great Siege of 1565, the church of the Annunciation served as the parish church of Vittoriosa. During the German blitz of the Second World War, the church and its contents were destroyed. Few objects were saved from under the debris including the statue of Our Lady of the Rosary and the silver pedestal of the statue of St Dominic. After the war a new church of the Annunciation was consecrated by Archbishop Michael Gonzi in 1960.