Archbishop Mons. Michael Gonzi bought a piece of land on which the new Parish church would be built. The first stone of the church was blessed on 13th October 1946. Almost six years were taken to finish the construction of the church. The church has a neo-classical design and it was built using Globigerina limestone. On 13th March 1949, the new titular statue of Saint Joseph arrived in Kalkara through a pilgrimage from Bormla. The Archbishop blessed the new church and celebrated the first mass on 7th September 1952. The Parish church was consecrated on 12th December 1954.