After having a dream, Giuseppe Valerio Abela donated a plot of land in Kalkara to the Capuchin Friars so that they could build a church and a convent. On 18th June 1736, the friars started constructing the church and the convent. The first stone that was laid was blessed by Archbishop Mons. Paul Alphérande Bussan. The Capuchin friar Fra Giuseppe was responsible of the design of the buildings whilst the work was financed thanks to the donations of the people including donations from Grand Master Antonio Manuel de Vilhena. On 2nd August 1743, the inauguration and blessing of the church and the convent took place. The church is dedicated to Saint Barbara and was consecrated on 18th June 1747.