St. James Cavalier

The construction of the St. James Cavalier began in 1723 and was completed in 1730. The St. James Cavalier was under the responsibility of the Knights of the Langue of Auvergne and the Knights from Genoa in case of a siege. Its guns protected the areas known as Xewkija Bay, San Salvatore Hill in Kalkara, and a small section of the Santa Margherita and the Cottonera Lines in Cospicua. During air raids in the Second World War, the people living in Birgu used to take shelter in the tunnels underneath this Cavalier.

Share The Knowledge