Couvre Porte or as it is also known the Birgu Counterguard is a gateway which gives access into the city of Vittoriosa. It is the second gate to be built by the military engineers C.F. de Mondion and L.F. de Tigne between 1716 and 1730. Couvre Porte was built as a defensive feature to safeguard the Porta Superiore which is Vittoriosa’s main gateway. Today, in Couvre Porte one finds the Malta at War Museum which is a museum dedicated to Malta’s role in the Second World War.